Superstitchious

For handmade items of fantastic, check out The Superstitchious Store!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Pretty in pink, quilt top

So here is what i have come up with for my wonderful fabrics. I was flipping through my denyse schmidt book and got inspired. Alot of the new modern quilts call for a lot of solids in big pieces, while i think it looks really cool, I personally love prints. So this quilt is a departure from the norm for me. I adapted this from the big zig pattern and i really love how the zig zags of prints work with the solid pink and brown. One fat quarter was perfect for one row of zig zag. The finished size of this quilt is going to be 60 inches by 82 inches, twin size.








The quilt is hanging on my wall by the corners which is why there is some weird pulling across the center seam. I think the the zig zags worked with prints, you can definitely see the seam in the close up picture, but i think one everything is quilted it wont be as noticeable. I did my best to try to match up the dots, but i only had a fat quarter and had to work with as little waste as possible.

I pieced the back today, and layed the quilt out and basted everything together. I was going to attempt to quilt it on my home machine but i dont think its going to work. There is a quilt store about 20 minutes away that rents time on their handi quilter long arm, they also offer a class on how to use it. I think thats what i'm going to do for this quilt since i'm just going to follow the same quilting pattern denyse schmidt used in her book. I'll let ya'll know how it works out!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger AmysBabies said...

how great and modern is that! I am sure that once you step back from the project when it is all done, it will look fabulous!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Denyse Schmidt book and I can honestly say I like your interpretation of her big zig quilt better. Good job!

10:52 PM  
Blogger s65 said...

I love it! The perfect combination of fabrics for that design. But I do have to say that if you waste it as a present for Allison I'll punch you in the back of the head.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

The quilt looks great. I have been wanting to make the same quilt as yours except baby blue and brown. You did a great job!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

This is very cute and modern! Just found your blog today - nice work!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

LOVE the quilt! And I'm glad to know that about The Quilt Haus...I've never been there, but I know it's in New Braunfels and I'm in San Antonio and I would LOVE to try that!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home